If you have immigrated to Canada and wish to sponsor your parents or grandparents, you can apply for the Parents and Grandparents Program (PGP) under the Family Class immigration category.
Sponsored parents and grandparents can become residents of Canada and receive all benefits accompanied by this status. Benefits include the right to live and work in Canada without restriction on location, time, or sector, access to public health care, and more.
Who is eligible?
Both sponsor and sponsored must meet certain eligibility requirements.
- Be either a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada
- Meet certain income requirements
- Support the sponsored person(s) and their dependants financially
The sponsor and the sponsored must sign a sponsorship agreement that:
- Commits the sponsor to provide financial support to the sponsored person(s) and any other eligible relatives accompanying them for a period of three to 20 years, depending on their age and relationship to the sponsor, beginning on the date they become a permanent resident.
- States that the persons becoming permanent residents will make every effort to support themselves.
There are two stages in the application process:
- You apply to sponsor your relatives.
- Your family members must apply for permanent residence.
You must send your sponsorship application and the permanent residence application to your relatives at the same time.
To apply as a sponsor, you must be at least 18 years of age and have one of the following requirements:
- Canadian citizen
- A person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act
- Permanent resident of Canada
In order to apply, you have to:
- Get the application package (found on the Government of Canada website)
- Pay your fees
- Submit application
Next up, your application will be reviewed by the Government of Canada to determine whether or not you meet the criteria for sponsorship. When your application is being assessed, you will receive an acknowledgment of receipt letter with an application number. Once the assessment is complete, you will receive either an approval or rejection letter regarding your application.
If your application was rejected, there may be a few reasons why:
- It’s incomplete
- The sponsorship and processing fees are missing
- You or your family do not meet the requirements for a sponsorship
If rejected you can reapply or your family can still apply to become permanent residents.
Congratulations! Your application has been approved!
You and your family can now start preparing for your arrival in Canada! Make sure to check the government website for information regarding entrance into Canada, as well as required documents!
When you arrive in Canada, you must show your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and your permanent resident visa to an Immigration, Refugees ,and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) officer at the point of entry to Canada. The officer will make sure your travel and immigration documents are correct.
- The IRCC officer will check if your permanent resident visa has not been expired. The expiry date is shown on the visa. You cannot use the visa after it expires. A permanent residence visa cannot be extended, so make sure you use it within the time limit.
- You must bring a valid passport from your home country with you. Your passport must be a regular, private passport. You cannot immigrate to Canada with a diplomatic, government service ,or public affairs passport.
- You will have to answer questions like the ones you answered on your Application for Permanent Residence in Canada. The IRCC officer asks these questions to verify information on the application.
- You must inform the IRCC officer of any funds you are bringing into Canada (cash, stocks, bonds, money orders, traveler’s cheques, etc.)
If there are no problems, the IRCC officer will allow you to enter Canada as a permanent resident.
Permanent residents are given the permanent resident card as proof of their status in Canada. Your card will be mailed to your Canadian address after you arrive in Canada as a permanent resident.
At BluefoxAI, we are committed to providing our clients with the best immigration services. We carefully selected a team of seasoned immigration experts who are experienced in various Canadian immigration programs. They can provide the most accurate answers to your concerns or questions and help you along the way.
As your first step, our platform can shortlist our authorized immigration experts for your unique case. Then, BluefoxAI’s support team can connect you to one of our authorized immigration experts based on your application.
Finally, you can arrange a meeting and discuss your application in detail in a complimentary consultation session with them, after which you may decide to continue your immigration application at BluefoxAI.
If you would like to create an application please contact us!
Email: [email protected]
Click here for our blog!